- Name of the Fort:
- Mandangad Fort (also called Chitradurga Fort) is about 2 km from Mandangad town in Ratnagiri District, Maharashtra. This fort was captured by Shivaji in the battle with Adil Shah. A 400-year-old cannon is the major feature of the fort. The fort constitutes a Ganapati Temple and a tank called Thorla Talav.
It actually consists of three separate fortifications - Mandangad proper to the south, Parkot in the middle while Jamba in the north. The Jamba water reservoir is now dry. Even though they are believed be much older, local legend attributes Mandangad to Shivaji, Parkot to Habshi of the Siddis and Jamba to Kanhoji Angre(also called Angria). All three forts were captured in 1818 by a Col Kennedy.