- Name of the Fort:
- Height of the Fort:
- 1500 ft
- Karnala was the capital of the north Konkan districts under the rule of the Devagiri Yadavs and the Tughluqs. Subsequently, in the 16th century, the fort came under the command of the Portuguese. It was retaken by Shivaji in 1670. Later, it was captured by various empires like the Mughals, the Peshwas and finally, by the British East India Company in 1818.
The fort was famous for its strategic position, overlooking the Bor Pass that connected the Konkan coast to the interiors of Maharashtra. It formed the main trade route. The fort was predominantly used as a watchtower as it provides a 360 degree view of the surrounding area. There is a tall basalt pillar in the centre called Pandu’s Tower. The fort is now a protected place lying within the Karnala Bird Sanctuary.
- Karnala Fort is situated at Karnala near Panvel, along the Pune-Mumbai highway. It was constructed around the 13th century and was managed by the families of the Mudhan, Angres, and Peshwas until 1818. After that it came under the British. A sharp peak rises centrally within the fort. Carved images of tigers and elephants are found on the principal doorway. There is a water reservoir dug out from rock near the fort.