- Name of the Fort:
- Height of the Fort:
- 3800 feet
- Chandan-Vandan, the twin forts, are situated at about 24 kms. from Satara. Cultivation of sugarcane crop in this area has facilitated this area with roads, electricity supply, S.T. bus service and such other basic services. These forts can be easily identified from Pune-Satara route because of their flat plateaus. These forts lie on the boundary of Satara city and Mahabaleshwar region. To the east of these forts lie Jarandeshwar Kalyangad, Bhavani hill, while to the west lie the forts like Vairatgad, Pandavgad.
- According to the evidences of copper-inscriptions(Tamralekh) of 1191-1192 B.C., these forts were built-up by king Bhoj II of Shilahar dynasty. Shivaji Maharaj overpowered Chandan-Vandan along with Kalyangad, Sajjangad, Ajinkyatara during the campaign of Satara in 1673. Later, during the regime of Sambhaji, Amanullah Khan attacked the troop of Maratha soldiers on Chandan-Vandan. 25 horses, 20 guns, 2 ensigns, 1 kettle-drum were lost in the hands of Mughals in this battle. Marathas ruled this region up to 1689 B.C. Afterwards Mughals ruled this fort. In 1707, Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj won this region during rainy season. In 1752, Dadopant was accompanied by soldiers by Balaji Vishwanath to keep close watch on Tarabai. Later, British ruled over these forts.