- Name of the Fort:
- Height Of the Fort:
- 3350 ft
- How To Reach:
- From Gajwadi :
Gajwadi is 3 km before Parali Rd. From this place it’s possible to reach at the top of the fort directly by vehicle. After going 100 steps further, we reach at the gate. It takes 15 minutes approximately to reach to the fort from road.
From Parali :
The distance between Satara and Parali is 10 km Parali is at the base of fort. To reach to the fort, one has to go by 780 steps and these steps take you to the main gate of the fort. One hour is enough to reach the top from Parali.
- Shambhu Mahadev is the sub range of Sahyadri starting from Pratapgad to eastern side. This range is divided into three parts and Sajjangad is situated on one of these sub ranges. One should touch the soil here sanctified by the feet of Samrath Ramdas Swami. Poet Anant has aptly described the place the sacred one, blessed by the existence of Lord hanuman and residence of Saint Ramdas Swami.
The fort stands 10 km away to the south- west of the Satara city in the ravine of the Urmodee or Urvashee River.
- In ancient time, saint Ashwalayan resided on this hill, due to which the fort is also known as Ashwalayan gad. It also changed into Ashwalgad. The fort was created by king Bhoj from Shilahar dine sty in 11th century. The village at the base of the fort is as Parali so the fort was also called as, the fort of Parali. The mention of this fort is found in the region of the 4th Bahamani king Mahommad Shah (1358 to 1375). Later, it went in the hands of Adilshah who grabbed a portion of Bahamani state. The mention of Phajal khan is found in 1632 as the in charge of the fort. On 2nd April 1673, this fort was conquered by Shivaji maharaj from Adilshah.
Saint Samarth Ramdas permanently resided on this fort as per the request of Shivaji Maharaj. And the fort was named as Sajjangad. Then, after coronation, Shivaji Maharaj came for séance of Samarth on 3-11-1678, Shivaji sent Sambhaji to Sajjangad. However, Sambhaji ran away from Sajjangad on 3rd December 1678 and joined Dilerkhan. After unfortunate death of Shivaji Maharaj on 18 January 1682, the idol of Shriram was on the fort. Ramdas Swami also passed away on 22-1-1682. Though Samarth transferred all the rights regarding the fort to Divakar Gosavi, the administration was allotted to Bhanji and Ramji Gosavi. However conflicts arose between them. When Sambhaji heard about it, he wrote to Jijoji Katkar, the Killedar of Sajjangad. The letter intended to settle the dispute and to follow the orders of the respected elder people.
Later on 21 April 1700, the fort was captured by Moghals and named by then as ‘Nauras-Satara’. In 1709 Marathas captured the fort. However in 1818 the fort fell in the hands of British.