- Name of the Fort:
- Height Of the Fort:
- 2950 ft.
- How To Reach:
- Talbeed village is at a distance of half an hour from Karad. ST buses ply at a frequency of half an hour from Karad ST stand. It takes around 45 minutes to reach the top of the fort.
- Vasantgad was built by Shilahar King Bhoj. Shivaji Maharaj conquered it on 1659. Later, Rajaram Maharaj stayed for some time on this fort when he returned from Jinji. Aurangzeb captured this fort in 1700 and named it “Kili-da-Fateh”. The Marathas got the fort back in 1706.The base village of Vasantgad is “Talbeed”, which is the place remembered for Hambirrao Mohite, Shivaji Maharaj’s second Commander-in-chief. This is also the place of Queen Tarabai. We can also the memorial of Hambirrao Mohite in Talbeed. The route to the fort starts from outskirts of the village. The fort entrance has been destroyed. We can see a Ganesh idol carved in the ramparts. If we turn right after ascending the steps, we reach a big temple. This is the temple of Chandrasen, the son of Shoorpanakha, Ravana’s sister. There are remnants of two more temples.
The mountain top is extensive, and is well fortified by strong bastions. We find a doorway in the bastion on the south side of the fort. This entrance is of “Gomukhi” type, and the carvings here are still intact. The ramparts are also intact. There is a big grinding wheel on the fort. It takes around one and half hour to see the fort. From the top we get a good glimpse of Koyna River.