- Name of the Fort:
- Height of the Fort:
- 80 ft.
- How To Reach:
- Kharepatan village is on the border of Sindhudurg and Ratnagiri districts. Rajapur and Nandgaon are the nearest railway stations on the Konkan Railway line. Kharepatan village is 25 kms from these two stations.
In the village, we first come across ST bus stand and then the market area. The line of shops from the market towards the creek leads us to the steps reaching a school. This school is in Kharepatan fort premises itself.
- Shilahar dynasty ruled south Konkan during the 8th Century A.D. King Shilahar Shwammiyara (A.D. 785-820) built this fort and established the village as the capital of his empire. Shivaji Maharaj won the forts of Rajapur and Kharepatan in 1660 A.D. The English officer of Rajapur, Gifford was imprisoned in this fort.
After the death of Shivaji Maharaj, Kanhoji Angre took command over most of the coastal forts which included Kharepatan. On 18th December, 1755; Peshwas and British army jointly attacked the fort and won it back from Tulaji Angre. Later, in 1850 A.D. the British won the fort in a huge battle with the Marathas which resulted in a huge loss to the fort's structure.