- Name of the Fort:
- Pune – Khandala – Satara – Koregaon – Wardhangad
Pune - Khandala – Wathar – Koregaon – Wardhangad
Pune - Saswad – Veer Dam – Lonand – Wathar - Koregaon – Wardhangad
- Wardhangad and/or Vardhangad is hill fort lies on the Bhadle-Kundla spur of the Mahadev range at a point of it on the boundary between the Koregaon and Khatav talukas, seven miles north-east of Koregaon and nine miles north-east of Satara. It is a round-topped hill rising about 900 feet above the plain below on the west or Koregaon side and about 700 feet on the east or Khatav side
- The construction of the fort was undertaken in 1673 by Chhatrapati Shivaji and was finished in 1674. It was used as an outpost guarding the east frontier of his newly acquired territory. In 1800, the fort, then in the hands of the Pratinidhi, was invested by Mahadji Shinde's force with 25,000 men. The Ramoshis in the south-west machi were attacked and killed the horse of Muzafarkhan one of Shinde's generals. The machis were then sacked and burnt. Further havoc was stopped by the influence of the Sarnobat Ghorpade's wife who was sister to the wife of Shinde. In 1803, Balvantrav Bakshi, the commandant of the fort, fought here a battle with Yesai Saheb Firangi. The fort was shelled, the machis sacked, and a contribution of Rs. 3,000 levied. In 1805 the fort was attacked by Fattesingh Mane. The Karkhanis and other officers were killed and Fattesingh took many horses in the neighbourhood. But was himself killed soon afterwards in a battle fought with Balvantrav Phadnis, the Mutalik of pratinidhi who was assisted by the troops of Chintamanrav Patwardhan. [Grant Duffs Marathas, Vol. II, 413.] In 1807 after the battle of Vasantgad, [Grant Duff's Marathas, Vol. II, 413.] Bapu Gokhale brought the Pant Pratinidhi to Cimanganv, a Koregaon village close to the north of the fort, and the fort was then surrendered to him. He administered it for five years till 1811 when the Peshva took charge of it. It appears to have surrendered in 1818.